The origins of Deruta remain for the most part obscure. Of certainty are its links to Perugia, which has always been a valid bastion to the south, toward Todi, whose role is to this day witness of its fortified castle appearance.
During the 13th Century Deruta had its own statute, followed by, in 1465, a new document in vernacular which foresaw the presence in the castle, in addition to a podestà envoy from Perugia, of four "boni omini", elected from amongsts the residents. In the second half of 1400, the residents of this small town, were exterminated from pests, so that the city walls came down. In addition, during the Guerra del Sale" (1540), Deruta, which had aligned itself against the Pope, experienced ambushes and devastation. The submission of Perugia to the Church brought also to the small town a long period of peace, during which time the maximum development of works of art of the artistic majolica, activity which, throughout the Centuries, allowed Deruta to become known all over the world. Accessing the historical centre of Deruta from the door Porta di S. Michele Arcangelo, are immediately visible testimonies of ancient furnaces. In the small Biordo Michelotti Square are exposed the sober lines of roman-gothic of the S. Arcangelo Church. In front of which is situated the Fontana, with a polygonal plan, which was realized in 1848.
Immediately following opens out the square Piazza dei Consoli, where one finds the Palazzetto Municipale from 1300, in whose atrium are collected archaeological finds, neolithical and etruscan. The Palazzo hosts, in addition, the Pinacoteca and the Museum of Ceramics. In the former one finds an important collection of paintings originating from the churches of S. Francesco, S. Antonio, the Defunti di Ripabianca, and the hospital of S. Giacomo, and a part from the rich collection of Lione Pascoli. One can admire, among other things, paintings of the Alunno, of the Baciccio, from Stendardo, from Amorosi, from Fiorenzo di Lorenzo and a Guido Reni. In the latter, one can admire magnificent ceramic works of art from the period encompassing the archaic and our modern times. In front of the Palazzo Municipale is the S. Francesco Church, in gothic style, from its interior.
Adjacent to the Church one finds the former Franciscan convent with an ancient cloister. At the end of the narrow Mastro Giorgio road rises the S. Antonio Church, which preserves important affrescos of Bartolomeo and Gian Battista Caporali. At the height of Piazza Cavour is situated the small church of Madonna del Divino Amore, today known with the name of Madonna della Cerasa. Along the Tiberina road one sees the small church of Madonna delle Piagge from 1601, whose facing is adorned with a beautiful maiolica. Close by to this church one may visit an interesting Museo of majolicas.