Umbria Food Tour
1. Arrival. Pick-up at the airport/train station. Welcome drink (aperitivo), room check-in, dinner at the enchanting Locanda Malvarina.
2. Discovering the art of the Norcineria. Leaving from Malvarina, we reach the city of Spello through the olive oil trees route. After the visit of the city, we go to discover the secrets of the Prosciutto and salumi makers in the laboratory of a famous “Norcino” having the opportunity to see him at work. We will then head to the borgo of Bevagna for a visit to this fascinating village and its beautiful square. We will then visit our friend Tagliavento, “norcino” who will host us in his butchery. We will then go in a Trattoria to fill our belly with local meat bbq style! Back to the Agriturismo in the afternoon where the dinner will be served at 8pm…if you are still hungry!
3. Norcia, where the art of cured meat and “salumi” makers has its origin.
After a brief visit to the Valnerina, we will reach Norcia, birthplace of the Norcineria, where the name comes from. During the trip we will make some stops to visit some nice villages in the valley.
We will then reach Gianni, to taste some of the ancient flavours of the region, but not before a truffle hunting session with the “Cavatori” and their dogs which will guide us through the search of the precious tuber/fungus.
4. The green gold. Tasting our famous extra virgin olive oil in one of the mills of the Menotre Valley, where a delicious bruschetta will be served, is an experience you cannot miss. After the green gold, we will go to the Terre de Trinci winery in Foligno for a guided tour in the vineyards and a wine tasting. Back to Malvarina for a cooking class for a bit of practice before dinner.
5. Free Day
6. Etruscan flour. In the morning we will visit in the town of Torgiano and, in particular, the mill of San Silvestro where, since the Etruscan age, is still producing flour. Here we could see how organic flour are produced from the raw material to the final products coming to the tables. In Torgiano we will also visit the wine and olive oil museum, exposition of the rural heritage of the Umbrian region. We will then go to prepare and cook wood-fire bread in a local bakery before going back to Malvarina for a cooking class and dinner.
7. Transfer to the Airport/Train Station