Polino, originally called Pulino, is situated at 836 metres above sea-level and owes its name to antique regional fiefs. Later on, it became fief of the old Terni family of Castelli and was used as a strong-hold because of its typical placement on a rocky summit.
On reaching the main square called "G. Marconi", the old town portal catches the eye, and next to it, a very old tower which used to be the customs-house and army seat. The urban structure, which has a double belt of town walls and whose rock is surmounted by cilindrical towers, has preserved much of the original structure. Among the important monuments to be found in this medieval town, the Castle which, closed in between the Petano and the La Pelosa mountains, and which was of noteworthy importance for the area reaching to the north-east to Monteleone of Spoleto and to the south-east to Rieti, should be named. Another monument of great architectonic importance is the Fountain, which was ercted in 1625 by the Marquis Castelli, Count of Collestatte and Torre Orsina and perpetual governour of Polino in the last manieristic Roman style.
The church, with its dedication: "Amore Dei tempo del Rev.do Don Antonio Arroni Rettore 1575", is also noteworthy. Leaving the inhabited part of the town, one can admire a vast panorama, and going up in the direction of the mountain one can sweep ones' eyes over to the south-east to Greccio, to Piediluco lake, and to Rieti e Leonessa; towards the north-east to Monteleone of Spoleto; towards the north to " Salto del Ciedo" with the magnificent Aspra and Coscerno Mountains; further, one can see nearly all the Valnerina valley. The walks, perfect for trecking fans, are numerous and very beautiful. A ski run for cross-country skiing of 5 km and several ski runs for downhill-skiing perfect for beginners are also available. Among the shows figure the "Polino Summer"held during the last Sunday of August, and the "Feast of the Chestnut", which takes place during the last week of October.