What reserve to us the Green Heart of Italy for 2012 Christmas? Let's see some of the events around Umbria between food and wine, Christmas markets, cribs, art, concerts, activities for children and illuminations. From December 8th, 2012 to January 6th, 2013.
MERCATINI DI NATALE (CHRISTMAS MARKETS)
At the Rocca Paolina of Perugia 2012 Natale alla Rocca, the second edition of the market exhibition of the qualiy handicraft productions, artistic craftss, creativity, experimentation and recycling. Among the stalls you can find almost any type of object, from all over Italy. From December 7th to 23rd, 2012.
In Corciano, inside the programme of "il Presepe, i Sapori, l'Arte...", from December 7th, 2012 to January 6th, 2013, Mercatino del Presepe e del regalo d’arte (Market of the crib and of the artistic gift) dedicated to the best Italian nativity scenes art, artistic objects, Umbrian artistic gifts and books about Christmas, Nativity scene, on Christmas tales and legends. From 10:30 to 13:00 and 16:00 to 19:30 on public holidays (except December 31st) December 18th 16:00 to 19:30, 16:00 to 18:30 on December 24th, December 25th and January 1st, 2013 16:30 to 19:30.
In Spoleto from December 15th to 26th Tradizioni in Piazza (Traditions in Square): at Piazza Garibaldi and Piazza della Liberta exhibitors of Christmas objects and products from all over Italy and from the markets of the European tradition, crafts, food & wine, tastings, entertainment and performances.
The Christmas Markets of Gubbio would be held from from December 7th to January 6,th 2013, at the Bosone, Oderisi e San Giovanni squares. Included in the programme of 2012 Gubbio Città del Natale.
A Massa Martana from December 6th to 9th and from 14th to 16th, 2012 the 2012 Mercatino Natalizio di Massa Martana. Not only stalls but also guided tours, trekking, workshops and activities for children. In addition to the typical Umbrian products, gifts and culinary specialties from Sweden. Wooden houses open from 10:00 to 20:00. Click here for the full programme.
2012-2013 Magie di Natale (Magics of Christmas) is the name of the programme of events in Otricoli, from December 8th, 2012 until January 6th, 2013. The related markets will be open from 14:30 to 19:30 on Saturdays, Sundays, December 26th and January 1st.
In Terni the traditional Christmas markets will take place between Piazza del Popolo and Piazza dei Bambini e delle Bambine, from November 24th to January 6th.
In Norcia the Christmas stalls will be open from December 7th to 9th, from 14th to 22nd and from 24th to 26th, 2012. Hours: Dec. 7th inauguration at 16:00; December 8th & 9th hours from 10:00 to 17:00; December 14th to 22nd the market opens at 10:00 and closes at 24:00; December 24th from 10:00 to 16:00. On Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25th-26th) from 10:00 to 20:00.
PRESEPI (CHRISTMAS CRIBS)
Umbria is full of these masterpieces of art, the result of hard work and dedication. In this house we will cite you a few.
Among the ARTISTICS we mention to you the Presepe Storico Meccanizzato (Historical Mechanized Crib) by Sante Cacchiata, at the Church of San Giovani Battista of Magione. In Ferentillo the Artistic Nativity scene in the Church of S. Mary. From 18 December to 31 January 2013, 15:00 to 19:00 Holidays 16:00 to 18:00 weekdays and (preferred reservation). Back in Massa Martana, for the 11th time, Presepi d'Italia (Christmas Cribs of Italy), an exhibition of nativity scenes at the national level, among the most importants. From December 24th to January 6th, every afternoon from 14:30 to 19:30 and, in the public holiday, even in the morning from 10:00 to 12:30. The Presepe nel Pozzo (Crib in the Well) at the Pozzo della Cava of Orvieto. From December 23rd to January 13th, from 9:00 to 20:00. At the Basilica Papale of Santa Maria degli Angeli in Portiuncula, Assisi, "Con gli occhi del corpo... - Il presepe di San Francesco alla Porziuncola" ("With the eyes of the body... - The Nativity scene of St. Francis at the Portiuncula"): traditional large international exhibition of cribs, divided into the exhibition itself (Sanctuary and Ancient Cloister of the Convent), the artistic crib by the artist Umberto Palumbo (Sant'Antonio Chapel - Basilica) and a section dedicated to the Nativity scene in the Friulian tradition (Hall San Pio X - Old Conventino). Opening at 15:00 on Saturday, December 8th, and the exhibition will be open until January 13th, 2013. In Cascia from December 8th to January 20th 9th Rassegna dei Presepi (Season of the Nativity scenes): cribs of all types and sizes, which run through churches, cellars and characteristic places of the historical center of the city of Santa Rita.
For the PRESEPI VIVENTI (LIVING CRIBS) as not to cite Marcellano, Gualdo Cattaneo, who has earned to the small Umbrian town the nickname of "Umbrian Bethlehem". On December 25th, 26th, 30th and January 1st and 6th, 2013 15.00-19.00. The one of Rasiglia, near Foligno, set in the early '900 between the sources, December 26th and January 6th. Also near Foligno and in the same days, but in Pale, the first edition of the Presepe Vivente recitato dai Bambini nel paese Presepe (Living Nativity scene recited by the children in the Crib village). That of the Avendita hamlet of Cascia, dedicated to the inventor, San Francesco, December 23rd, 2012 at 17:00. And then, for example, the Presepe Vivente of the Marmore Falls (December 25th and 26th and January 1st, 5th and 6th at 17:30) and the one in the Castle of Passignano sul Trasimeno.
CONCERTI DI NATALE (CHRISTMAS CONCERTS)
Throughout the month of December and until Epiphany Umbria will host Christmas themed notes. We'll focus on some of the Christmas concerts:
- in Perugia will be 2. December 10th, 2012 at 18:30, Auditorium of Santa Cecilia, La banda degli Unisoni. December 22nd at 21:00, Sala dei Notari, Solisti di Perugia;
- Città di Castello December 26th at 17:00, Madonna delle Grazie Church, "Marietta Alboni" coral;
- Umbertide December 26th at 17:00, Church-Museum of Santa Croce, "Chorus Fractae";
- Assisi December 28th 18:00 hours, Basilica Inferiore di San Francesco, Christmas Concert "Alla luce di una stella";
- in Gubbio on Christmas Day at 17:00, Church of Santa Maria dei Servi;
- Marsciano, December 18th, 2012 21:00, Oratory of the Church of Santa Maria Assunta;
- Montecastello Vibio December 22nd at 18:00, Chiesa dei Santi Filippo e Giacomo. December 26th at 17:30, Teatro della Concordia, Christmas concert by Accademia Perusina;
- 2 in Terni, too, December 11th at 21:00, San Francesco Church, "Visioninmusica" Association. Also at the Church of St. Francis, but at 16:30 on December 16th, “La parola e la musica nel gaudio del Natale”, Orchestra d’Armonia Città di Terni, Director D. Agnusdei;
- in Narni on December 25th, 2012 will perform the Gospel Choir Tri State Mass Choir, made up of at least 34 elements. NBF association, starting from 18:00, Cattedrale di San Giovenale;
- in Guardea at the Sala Consiliare, December 22nd from 17:30, "Racconti poetici e fantastici" with Paolo Francese at the piano;
- Amelia, Cathedral, December 26th, 2012 at 18:00 performance by the Corale Amerina and “Ameria Umbra” Orchestra.
In addition, in Gubbio from December 9th to 29th the 2012 Concerto sotto l'Albero (Concert under the Christmas Tree). From December 8th to January 1st, 2012 the 2012-2013 Umbria Gospel Festival. In Orvieto reaches the 20th edition Umbria Jazz Winter, from December 28th to January 1st. On January 4th and 5th, 2013 the Young Jazz Countdown*4, Foligno.
ARTE E CULTURA (ART & CULTURE)
Until January 6th, 2013 at the Palazzo Trinci of Foligno, the exhibition “Dal visibile all'indicibile. Crocifissi ed esperienza mistica in Angela da Foligno” (“From the visible to the unspeakable. Crucifixes and mystical experience in Angela of Foligno”). Dedicated to the Blessed Angela of Foligno, considered the greatest Italian mystic. Opening hours: from 10:00 to 13:00 and 15:00 to 19:00. Closed on work Mondays, December 25th, 2012 and January 1st, 2013.
At the "Palazzo Lucarini Contemporary" Center of Contemporary Art of Trevi, until February 23rd, 2012, double exhibition of contemporary art entitled Arte Natura Spazio Urbano (Art Nature Space Urban). Romano Bertuzzi proposes, for the new central square of the town of Perino, the 1:1 scale reconstruction of a traditional barn. Silvia Donini, however, documents the teaching garden created - with the children of a primary school - within the walls of Ferrara. From Thursday to Sunday, from 15:30 to 18:30; other days by appointment.
INSTALLAZIONI, LUMINARIE (INSTALLATIONS, LIGHTS)
The Christmas are also the lights. In addition to the illuminated streets of almost every village and town in Umbria, 2 installations certainly steal the scene, active by the Immaculate until Epiphany:
- the Albero di Natale di Gubbio, the biggest Christmas Tree in the world, from 1991 in the Guinness Book of World Records as “The World's Largest Christmas Tree”;
- the Stella di Miranda, Miranda Star, Terni, considered the world's largest artificial Christmas star. Located on the hill of the medieval town of Miranda, lights and towers above the Terni hollow with its 3 hectares, 105 meters in diameter and a 350 meters tail. The profile is formed from about 100 lamps, with 9 km of electric cables.
Without forgetting the good food and the good wine, not to mention the quality of accommodation. Do not believe us? Check our page with the offers for 2012 Christmas in Umbria!