The most attractive feature of Perugia's Piazza Grande, which is now called Piazza IV Novembre, with which it is in artistic harmony also regarding its placement, is the Fontana Maggiore very beautiful for the elegance of its lines, the harmony of its form and its precious decorations.
It was built in 1278 perhaps according to plans by Brother Bevignate, who designed two poligonal and concentric marble basins surmounted by a bronze bowl. This fountain is one of the most beautiful because of the elegance of its lines, the harmony of its form and the value of its decorations consisting of 50 bas-reliefs and 24 statues by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano. The panels of the basins represent various personages, saints, symbols and scenes referring to the city's history, and to middle ages imagination. The fountain has recently undergone restoration, which has given it its former splendour.